Advanced Search
DSpace@MIT

A study of inter-individual differences in the DNA damage response

Research and Teaching Output of the MIT Community

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.advisor Leona Samson. en_US
dc.contributor.author Sefta, Meriem en_US
dc.contributor.other Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dept. of Biological Engineering. en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2012-07-02T15:43:58Z
dc.date.available 2012-07-02T15:43:58Z
dc.date.copyright 2011 en_US
dc.date.issued 2012 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/1721.1/71472
dc.description Thesis (S.M.)--Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dept. of Biological Engineering, February 2012. en_US
dc.description Cataloged from PDF version of thesis. en_US
dc.description Includes bibliographical references (p. 46-48). en_US
dc.description.abstract Agents that damage our DNA are omnipresent in our environment and inside our cells themselves. Left unrepaired, DNA damage can lead to premature aging, neurodegeneration and cancer. Humans have thus evolved intricate and widespread mechanisms to repair and manage this damage. These mechanisms-called the DNA damage response-often involve cell cycle arrest. Cell cycle arrest gives the cells precious extra time to utilize its diverse set of repair pathways. Among these is the homologous recombination pathway, which repairs DNA double-strand breaks. When the damage is deemed irreparable, a cell can choose to die: this allows for the maintenance of genomic integrity of the organism. Humans share 99.9% of the same genetic information. The remaining 0.1% is responsible for all genetic variations between individuals. This includes differences in disease susceptibility. In this study, we examined the inter-individual differences in the DNA damage response. To do so, we used a panel of twenty-four B lymphoblastoid cell lines derived from twenty-four healthy individuals of diverse ancestries. This panel had already been shown to display a broad range of sensitivity to several DNA damaging agents. We focused our attention on the alkylating agents temozolomide and methylnitronitrosoguanidine (MNNG). While MNNG has been extensively studied as a model DNA damaging drug, temozolomide is used in the clinic today to treat astrocytoma and glioblastomas. The two drugs are often referred to as functional analogues. We wanted to see if the cell lines' relative sensitivities to both drugs would be similar, which would support the analogy made between the drugs, or different, which would refute it. Furthermore, we measured the amounts of sister chromatid exchanges (SCEs) induced by temozolomide treatment to determine if the sensitivity measured by growth inhibition post-treatment was correlated with the amount of temozolomide-induced SCEs. For the cell lines tested, we found that the MNNG-induced sensitivity was similar to that induced by temozolomide. We also found a cell line in which temozolomide induced a large growth inhibition, all the while inducing no detectable SCEs. en_US
dc.description.statementofresponsibility by Meriem Sefta. en_US
dc.format.extent 48 p. en_US
dc.language.iso eng en_US
dc.publisher Massachusetts Institute of Technology en_US
dc.rights M.I.T. theses are protected by copyright. They may be viewed from this source for any purpose, but reproduction or distribution in any format is prohibited without written permission. See provided URL for inquiries about permission. en_US
dc.rights.uri http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/7582 en_US
dc.subject Biological Engineering. en_US
dc.title A study of inter-individual differences in the DNA damage response en_US
dc.type Thesis en_US
dc.description.degree S.M. en_US
dc.contributor.department Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dept. of Biological Engineering. en_US
dc.identifier.oclc 795201543 en_US


Files in this item

Name Size Format Description
795201543.pdf 5.413Mb PDF Preview, non-printable (open to all)
795201543-MIT.pdf 5.413Mb PDF Full printable version (MIT only)

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

MIT-Mirage